[mythtv-users] Was: HIPER HMC-2K53A as MythTv Frontend? / SilverStone ML02

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed May 30 16:55:09 UTC 2007

On 5/30/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Steve:
> > >
> > > Have you gotten the imon-pad patch to work with the current version of
> > > Lirc?  The wiki reports:
> > >
> > > Warning: PAD patches not working. Several patches exist. Can not get
> > > the PAD to work with latest lirc 0.8.1 and kernel 2.6.18. Please fill
> > > the gaps...-Moosylog Feb 2007
> > >
> > > I've had no luck myself, so if you have, can you update the wiki on
> > > how you did it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > George
> >
> > I'm 99% sure I'm running 0.8.1 and that it applied cleanly for me (I
> > wrote that part of the page when I last updated my frontend).
>
> It's not that the pad doesn't work as a 4-way dpad, it's that it
> doesn't work very well. Because there is no 'click', when pushing it
> down in a direction, you don't know when you've triggered it or not.
> Also it's a bit temperamental, as lirc doesn't reliably get all the
> keypresses (so that the 'repeat = 3' doesn't work). For me, it's just
> not very good.

true, the stock remote sucks in these matters.

> Also I don't want to have to use a learning remote to get back the
> functionality. I want to be able to use any remote I like, and
> personally I don't think the remote should have to pick up imon's
> mess. I'd recommend (although not because of the name). Microsoft's
> MCE remote / receiver, build a serial receiver, or buy a cheap USB
> one.

true, though I figure most people will use a universal remote to
control the rest of their setup.

> I've gone through loads of different patches for the imon-pad, none
> have been very good. I'd like to know whether other's work better.

the one linked to from the wiki works great for me, even with the
stock remote I've never had the tempermentality problems you write
about.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!