[mythtv-users] Fwd: Questions about using pxcut.sh

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue May 29 14:37:26 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
Date: May 29, 2007 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: Questions about using pxcut.sh
To: Craig Huff <huffcs at yahoo.com>

> Here's what I've found so far:
> 1) When I use pxcut to cut out the commercials, it also seems to cut out closed captioning.  Do you know if there is something additional I need to do if I want to keep closed captioning intact, or is that asking for a rewrite of ProjectX?

I do not use closed captioning so I have not investigated that at all.

> 2) I notice that pxcut splits the audio and the video into separate files for cutting and then interleaves the results back together.  I make my recordings using PVR-x50 cards, so I have .mp2 audio and .mpeg video.  In order to make a dvd, mythburn converts the audio to .ac3 by unstitching the video and audio again and transcoding the audio before putting them back together one more time.

I have selected not to reencode audio to ac3 as teh mp2 audio works
fine on all of my standalone dvd players. I believe the GUI has a
checkbox that this can be turned off.

>   This seems a tad redundant.  Do you know if there is a way to record programs with a dvd-compliant .ac3 audio track to start with?
I don't believe this is possible with hauppage hardware.

> How about a way to convert the .mp2 to .ac3 as part of the pxcut.sh script before calling mplex to stitch things back together so that they don't have to be split up once again to transcode the audio?

I don't think that is possible either. At one point I was working on
integrating ProjectX to mytharchive but for several reasons I did not
complete that. One of these is that I run my cutting in a batch
overnight days if not weeks before I burn my shows to dvd this way
when I need to burn the show to dvd the cutting is already done so its
a little faster.

John

--
John M. Drescher