[mythtv-users] PS3 getting DLNA network streaming capability

Peter Drysdale peter.drysdale.mythtv at googlemail.com
Sat May 26 13:09:33 UTC 2007

Mark Kendall wrote:
> The only obvious problem is that it doesn't seem to work with certain
> recordings. More specifically, there are recordings from specific
> channels that do not have audio in playback and will not seek either.
> BBC channels seem to be worst affected. Not had the chance to debug
> further but I suspect it's the extra audio channel on these recordings
> that is causing the problem.

I've noticed these audio-less recordings too, I hadn't noticed that the
seeking patch didn't work with them, but I have been wondering why they
have no audio.

My current guess is, as you say, the extra audio channel.

Last year when I was experimenting with playing back Myth recordings, a
large number of software players I tried (both commercial and open
source) had issues with the audio channels on some UK DVB recordings.

If I reprocessed the whole MPEG stream removing the extra audio, then
most things would then play it fine.

I notice that the PS3 does not let you select an audio track (although
it does let you select Left/Right/Left+Right from the one you have) and
I'm guessing that part of the DLNA specifications for playback of an
MPEG-TS say you should only have one.

I'm not sure what to do about this at the moment, as I don't have access
to the real specs to be sure.

Hopefully there's a few of us working hard at getting this working,
Peter