[mythtv-users] Suggestions on a Video Card Please.

clemens at dwf.com clemens at dwf.com
Fri May 25 17:39:34 UTC 2007

I am in the process of putting together a MythTV frontend.
After discussions on this list I decided on an Antec MSL2400
case (very nice, tho since its going to be a diskless system,
larger than I really need), and an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
(6600).  The motherboard choice may be an initial problem
in that I chose the Intel DG965SS, and as always seems to be
the case when I buy an Intel Motherboard, the onboard
graphics (and probably the sound) is not currently supported
in Linux, and probably wont be for another year or two...
(at least the ethernet works)

So, as in the past,  I need to but a video and sound card that
are supported.

The Sound card is easy, it will be a Sound Blaster Live!
(I may even have an extra around here somewhere)

As for the video card, that is such a moving target that I
am asking for help from you guys.  I have had good luck
with Nvidia cards in the past,  So if possible would like to
stay with that chipset.

'It would be nice' if the video board provided both composite
video for my current TV, and something better for the
LCD screen that I will probably buy withing a year.

'It would be nice'  not to go overboard with something
REALLY expensive, and with a fan that is going to make a lot
of noise (Is fanless still possible with these cards?)

Anyhow, I have not been following video card releases recently,
I just seem to see something new being released every few days
so would REALLY like some advice on something that is
sufficient for all the MythTV usage Ill ever get out of it,- I dont
need stuff specifically for gaming, or that will only be useful
with a Windows OS... Just plain Linux and MythTV.

--
                                        Reg.Clemens
                                        reg at dwf.com