[mythtv-users] HP/Intervideo USB remote

Jack Madison jack at webhouse.cc
Fri May 25 16:47:11 UTC 2007

I have an HP Pavilion zd7000 laptop that I'm going to use for a
mythfrontend until I find a better solution.  As it has no serial input
I decided to pick up a USB IR receiver and remote.  Looking back I
probably should have gone with a serial IR and USB-to-serial converter,
but I didn't.  Off to e-bay and back with an HP/Intervideo IR reciever
and remote.  From what I can find, the receiver is model number
XPC-RC01, and the remote is apparently model number PH839A (not marked
on the remote as far as I can find).

The issue is it comes up as a HID device, not an IR device.  I can use
the remote as either a keyboard or a mouse, swapping between them with
the toggle button.

At this point I'm not sure if I'm better off trying to remap the
controls in both mythtv and mplayer, or trying to get it to work as a
lirc device and mapping it that way.  I'm not even sure what all the
keys on the remote are equal to.  My fear is that if I try to map it as
a keyboard I'm going to lose some functionality (unmapable keys or
unable to duplicate some functionality).  I also would like to be able
to use a different remote.  I like my Tivo remote better, and would like
to use a universal so I can control the TV and Stereo with only one
remote.