[mythtv-users] command "irsend" producing eratic results

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri May 25 15:02:02 UTC 2007

At 2:36 PM -0400 5/24/07, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>I think the cheap solution is buying a different transmitter with
>its own timing circuitry.

After many, many hours playing with this, I broke down and did
exactly that (USB-UIRT). While I was able to get a serial IR
transmitter to work about 95% of the time, it just wasn't good
enough. The high frequency of the IR carrier combined with the
pickiness of the Dish receiver leads to too much instability.

Things I did:

- experimented with kernel timing
- designed a hard-wired interface into the Dish boxes that avoids any
possible problems with IR signals bouncing around the room
- used an oscilloscope to tweak the LIRC timing parameters to match
what the receiver expects

...all without attaining 100% reliability. I'm not saying it's
impossible to find a system that always transmits using a simple
emitter to a Dish receiver without dropouts, but I seriously doubt
that it's possible on my system.