[mythtv-users] Recording storage suggestions

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed May 23 18:05:42 UTC 2007

As expected, we maxed out the usage of our 160GB drive for recordings.
So, I started looking in to options in order to expand it.

I looked at :
1. dropping in another internal IDE 160GB drive (that I already have)
and adding it to the LVM (aka: no expense)
2. buying a big fat internal drive and replacing the internal 160GB
drive (~$100 internal IDE or SATA)
3. buying a big fat external drive and removing the internal 160GB drive
from the picture all together (~$110 external USB)
4. buying a big fat internal/external drive to add to my DVD storage to
replacing a 320GB drive I already have in there, and reuse the 320GB
drive in place of the 160GB drive for recordings. (~$110 and some drive
shifting)
5. Upgrade to SVN for storage groups and just add the to the 160GB I
have still in the box to the mix. (no expense and easier/safer, but
running bleeding edge)

Of course, I am trying to balance being cost-conscious with
effectiveness.  In other words, while I would love to buy the $740US 2TB
Raid array (with controller) but, my other half would probably have a
coronary.

Right now, all of my recordings are SD.  I expect that in the next
couple of months, I will get an HDHomeRun and start recording stuff in HD.

I'm torn, but I will probably just add the 160GB I have to the LVM and
live with it for now.  However, it all brought up the question about
performance with MythTV: is there a major difference between using an
internal IDE drive, an internal SATA drive, an external USB drive, and
an external eSATA drive for recordings (not mythvideo)?  Would any of
the differences be noticeable, or are the differences negligible?

-Rich