[mythtv-users] Transcoding files

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed May 23 14:57:18 UTC 2007

> On 05/23/2007 04:40 AM, James Buckley wrote:

>> > Just run mythjobqueue on the server.  Install Myth on the server
>> > and configure it as a remote backend, but don't run mythbackend,
>> > run mythjobqueue, instead.
>>
>>  can't you still run the full mythbackend, even though you don't have
>>  any tuners?.

That seems silly. What's the point? The backend itself isn't going to be
the lightweight part of running jobs on a slave backend. The jobs themselves
will be the heavyweight part. Those will probably still need everything that
would would need to build/run a backend anyways.

Transcode jobs will suck the life out of a system. The backend is barely
noticable. This is the case even when it's busy recording stuff. Even a
mysql instance (setup sanely) will be pretty invisible.