[mythtv-users] Fedora (core) 7 and third party package repositories

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed May 23 11:48:51 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 11:39:27AM +0000, Giacomo Shimmings wrote:
> This is really an open question to Axel, but I'd be keen to hear
> from others what their opinions are on this:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureNewBuildSystem
>
> With a new package build system for Fedora, does this mean that Red
> Hat will change the name of older packages that clash with third
> party packages and will this change in package management affect
> other prebuilt packages in third party repositories?

I don't think that the "change" from a mixed buildsystem (brew and
plague) to koji (brew's successor) implies any new policy, be it with
3rd party repos or otherwise.

Note that this isn't really a big change: The new system is the one that
was internally used by Fedora Core (e.g. Red Hat employees). Non-Red
Hat employees had their own buildsystem called plague, and now that
Core and Extras were finally merged they had to choose one
system. That's all there is to this (technical) part.

In fact, if you thought that Red Hat was rebuilding all packages with
the new buildsystem the contrary is the case (but not realates to
buildsystems): While in the past every Fedora release had an almost
full rebuild compared to the prvious one (~95-100%), this time it is
at about %80, so you'll find a lot of Fedora Core 6 packages in Fedora
7.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net