[mythtv-users] Software RAID and ionice

David Rees drees76 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 23:02:55 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Richard Freeman <r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> Is anybody using mythtv with software RAID and ionice?  I used to have a
> lot of problems with IOBOUND errors and frame dropping, until I
> discovered ionice and used it to prioritize mythbackend.  That fixed the
> problem - until I migrated my video directory to a RAID.  It seems like
> the RAID device ignores ionice settings.

No, it doesn't ignore ionice settings, but some raid setups can
actually perform worse than a single disk, especially raid5 setups.

I'd bet that you are using ext3 for your filesystem. xfs tends to
perform better for the types of workloads that mythtv presents (except
for large file deletes which jfs performs very well).

-Dave