[mythtv-users] deinterlacing and non-smooth playback at 1080i

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Tue May 22 18:36:17 UTC 2007

On 22/05/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/22/07, James Buckley <xanium4332 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > So is there anyway at all to get 1080i videoo, not deinterlaced, over a
> > 1080i DVI connection (at thus HDMI presumably). I wonder whether the
> opengl
> > video output of the mythtv-vid branch might work around the problem?
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Well both xv and opengl work for me. The trouble with xvideo is that I
> have to turn off xvideo sync to vblank - otherwise it locks up - but
> this introduces some fairly ugly tearing. Opengl output works well but
> needs a beefier gpu.
>
> Regards
>
> Mark

When you say 'beefier gpu' what kinda performance card are we talking about.
Would a NVidia 7600 do, or the new Intel GMA X3000. Some new intel boards
are gonna be coming out with integrated hdmi out (powered by an intel gpu,
acclaiming DirectX 10 compatability (not that I care about that, just the
performance)). Don't know whether it is just a modified X3000, or actually a
new chip altogether. It's the 'bearlake' chipset (review of one of the non
hdmi boards here:
http://www.engadget.com/2007/05/22/intels-p35-bearlake-chipset-gets-benchmarked-reviewed/
).

Hopefully the boards will have good linux support, including the graphics,
which means that 1080i over 1080i DVI/HDMI will actually be possible, and if
the gpu is powerful enough full opengl playback may be possible.