[mythtv-users] TiVo Convert Experience - HDTV Video Card Recommendation

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue May 22 00:20:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 15:08 -0600, Jim Shank wrote:
> Great stuff, thanks Geoff. I took your advice and cleared out all of my
> channels and recreated my zap2it lineup. I then went to the Video Sources
> and ran fetch on the channel listings. I then rescanned the channels and 31
> finally showed up. I confirmed that there is a tie between zap2it and what
> Myth channel scan detects. It automatically removed about 15 of the channels
> I had previously selected from my zap2it lineup. I would personally rather
> it obey zap2it and let me delete the channel manually if I don't actually
> receive them. I originally intended on following your directions for
> inserting the channel manually but had so much leftover garbage in the
> channel table that it made sense to start clean. Thanks again for all of
> your help!

The scanner will insert the channel even if it isn't in your
zap2it listing. It may give it a different name and callsign
than zap2it, but if it is an OTA channel it will still have
the same major and minor channel. With ATSC you usually
want to do the channel scan during prime time because the
transmitters are sometimes operating at low power the rest
of the day.

Deleting the channel from the zap2it service relieves some
of the strain on their servers and also keeps it's lineup
consistent with MythTV's. There are various options to
mythfilldatabase to control how it interacts with zap2it
as well, but 99.9% of the time MythTV will do the sane
thing without these options.

-- Daniel