[mythtv-users] Lack of aerial access

Neil Milne neil.milne at gmail.com
Mon May 21 20:49:06 UTC 2007

On 21/05/07, Dan Gravell <dan.gravell at talk21.com> wrote:

> We have just moved into this house and the truth is I don't know. The survey
> said it's of a timber frame construction, but wouldn't there be insulation
> in the cavity?
>
> I have had an aerial engineer visit who seemed helpful but didn't like the
> prospect of running the cable in the cavity. He suggested an amp splitter
> off the current feed which then goes up to the study, but then we noticed
> the obvious problems with the tiles...
>
> So I guess the problem is that I don't know what's inside the walls. It's a
> modern house, 1980s build. In many ways, of course, such a solution would be
> most desirable because so long as it all goes smoothly it will be the
> neatest finish.

You should be able to run cabling in channels in the plasterboard
fronting the timber frame cavity. If it's reasonably modern there will
be lots of guff in the cavity - insulation, timber, mortar, plaster
etc and there will most likely not be a clear path. However, if you
are not running shedloads of cable around you should be able to cut a
channel in the plasterboard, run the cabling in that and then plaster
on top of it.

I got that done for my surround speaker cable and you wouldn't know it
was there, although you have the added complexity of getting the
cabling into another room, however if the rooms you wish to connect
are one above the other you can just go through the ceiling/floor at
the edge of the room.

--
Neil Milne