[mythtv-users] Building a MythTV Box

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:21:27 UTC 2007

On 5/21/07, Oliver Martini <mythtv at x-surfing.ch> wrote:

> What kind of DVB-S card are you using? How are you able to get the Sky
> Card to work with the T-Rex cam? Is it just working out of the box? I am
> asking, because I was thinking about getting a dreambox and stream the
> TS-Stream to the myth-box, but when it is working directly, I would prefer
> the DVB-S card solution.

I'm using the Technotrend TT-budget S-1500 DVB-S card with add-on CI
daughter card -
http://shop.technotrend.de/shop.php?mode=show_detail&lang=de&group=3&sid=e8909ae0b43b65f072a2e12cdd06e4d5&s=&id=12and
http://shop.technotrend.de/shop.php?mode=show_detail&lang=de&group=6&sid=e8909ae0b43b65f072a2e12cdd06e4d5&s=&id=27

Works 'out the box' with Myth (I am using SVN) and a valid Sky card.

and on the backend / frontend question - a Mac Mini is more than enough for
my frontend needs.  Running Fedora Core 6 - works a treat for me (struggles
a little with H.264 encoded BBC HD - but then you need a LOT of power for
that).  I think the Mac is a very good frontend - it's almost completely
silent, it's quick (I've got the Core Duo), it looks good, and it's got a
very high WAF.  I found Mythfrontend under OSX not so great though. I've
retained the ability to dual boot - so can still use it as a Mac connected
to my plasma if I want.

On the power for a backend - you can get away with not a lot - but I
personally like having a snappy responsive backend - jobs run quickly, it
never chokes, I can stream multiple streams, and recompiling SVN is a
doddle.