[mythtv-users] Fast Question about Mythrename.pl

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 16:22:48 UTC 2007

Hey all,

     Got a frontend/backend on one system, have a NAS that is serving as
active storage on another system across a 100bt wired link.

Recordings go to my local /video directory and will then be moved across the
wire (via myth_archive_job.pl) to one of the two nas recording areas (Video
1 or Video 2).  Obviously this creates sim links in the local /video
directory.  MythTV is setup to "follow sim links" upon delete so all is good
there.

My question surrounds mythrename.pl.  If I were to want to run this guy to
re-name shows, will he work "through sim links" or would I have to run this
guy on the NAS box and then some way re-name the created sim links?

Maybe the better question is: considering the setup i've explained above,
what's the best way to re-name the 1092_20070516120000.mpg files that I get
to something slightly more meaningful so that I can access the show in the
local /video directory by a name that is comprehensible (yet still play
these things through myth).  I really don't care what the file name on the
NAS is, so long as MythTV can get rid of it upon delete.  If the answer is
to have a sim link in /video of a valid name pointing to a 1092.....file on
the nas, i'm good with this so long as Myth can properly delete.

I'm not married to using any particular scripts either, so if there's a
better way to do all this please feel free to let me know.

Also as another side item (unrelated) anyone have a fast for loop command to
take all the *.mpg files in /mnt/video1 and link them to /video?  I've done
this before but I forget the command I used.

--Doug