[mythtv-users] master backend on nslu2 ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 21 11:02:19 UTC 2007

Steve Daniels wrote:

> Just thought I'd mention, I know a fair few people who's master backends
> have no capture devices at all. They are used purely for storage and the
> like, and the slave backends with the capture devices are brought online
> as and when needed.

I thought about that after I posted. Of course you could use a B/E for a
lot of things other than capturing live video, and you can capture video
on a slug using a USB 2.0 device.

But I think my main point is valid, the slug is an underpowered NAS
device, fun to play with and useful for a lot of things, but a used PIII
box will do a lot more, faster, with drive bays, IDE interfaces and a
lot more for the same or less $$$.

If you happen to have a slug or 2 to play with, along with all the
requisite stuff like drives, it's a fun hobby, but I wouldn't go out and
buy one for the express purpose of running a Myth B/E and/or NAS server.