[mythtv-users] MythStream? MythStreamTV?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sat May 19 16:21:12 UTC 2007

On 5/18/07, Thom Paine <painethom at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want to monitor the system to make sure it's working, maybe
> realvnc is what you need instead. I just started using it because my
> MBE is headless, but I still archive dvd's. Now I can connect through
> my laptop either from work or at home and still burn dvd's.
>

> --
> -=/>Thom

Thom,
   realvnc is an interesting idea.

   Question - if I ssh into my account on the remote machine from here
what is there to display? I'm not logged into Gnome 350 miles away. I
know how to run apps there and display them here using ssh, but I'm
not clear how to use realvnc that way.

   The remote backend machine is also the desktop machine for a nearly
80 year old ex-Windows user. When things don't go right his first
thought is always to reboot even though he's used Gentoo for nearly 5
years. I'll never break him of that habit so there's no way I could
depend on my desktop account being up and running in the background on
his machine.

   Sorry for the off topic post. If others don't want this on the list
then please contact me off-line.

Cheers,
Mark