[mythtv-users] optimizing nvidia tv-out for widescreen rear projection tv connected via s-video

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri May 18 20:16:35 UTC 2007

Braindead wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2007 17:29:25 +0100

>>> nice

> <snip>
>
>>> This probably isn't the suggestion your looking for, but you might
>>> consider swaping that FX 5200 for one that has dvi on it. I was
>>> using an s-video connection on my 37" lcd and the quality
>>> difference when I switched to dvi was incredible, completely worth
>>> the $40 spent on the card.
>>>
>>> Other than that I don't see any main changes you could make with
>>> your xorg.conf, its about the same as the config I use on another
>>> SD frontend. You might consider adjusting the overscan with the
>>> nvidia-settings tool which will adjust in real time.
>>>

>> I second this, DVI/HDMI gives awsome pictures, and in some
>> circumstances allows one-to-one pixel mapping.
>>

> Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought.. But I wanted to make sure I wasn't running a really off xorg.conf or something like that.  One of these days I'll upgrade my BE/FE box.. I've only got one input (PVR-150) at this point..  I have a feeling that eventually the evil cable companies will force me to have a cable box (none yet), which will mean some re-thinking my setup... IR blaster... or what have you.  I'll simply have to upgrade at that point ;-)

Check out http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/ComponentOut for come
good Component Out tips.

If your TV works properly with DVI, try that.  Although, most TV's treat
DVI as a "pc connection" which, for some vendors or TV types, doesn't
work out as well.  Also, be aware that some TV's don't do DVI correctly
(a co-worker's 1yr old projection has a DVI port, but isn't supported to
be hooked up to a PC).

Component out is as good as HDMI, except for the fact that there is
digital->analog conversion in there (and theoretically there could be
some loss involved) while HDMI is all digital to the TV (less subject to
interference along the wire).  However, Component Out doesn't have the
possibility of any DRM (which HDMI might).

-Rich