[mythtv-users] optimizing nvidia tv-out for widescreen rear projection tv connected via s-video

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Fri May 18 16:09:54 UTC 2007

> now that I've been using Myth for a while... starting to wonder if I can
> get better picture quality, not that it's bad... seems pretty darned nice
> really.. but one just never knows.
>
> My TV is a 46" sony widescreen rear projection TV, the only connection I
> have available on my FE is s-video or composite.. (TV has DVI,
> component..etc..etc..).  I have a feeling that s-video will be the
> limiting factor for me.  My card is nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5200] (rev a1)
>
> One other thing I've noticed, that perhaps someone can chime in on.  I
> route most of my video devices through my receiver/amp, for whatever
> reason the nVidia driver/card will only initialize the tv-out if I'm
> directly connected to the TV (don't have to be on that particular input,
> TV doesn't even need to be on) or I have the receiver turned on and that
> input selected.  I'm guessing that the card/driver does something to
> attempt to detect the TV, which fails when hooked up to my receiver.
>

> The pertinent xorg.conf  sections, I left out my other monitor config,
> it's rarely hooked up and I don't think have any effect on things.  I'm of
> course open to any and all suggestions..
>
> tia.
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier  "TV"
>     HorizSync   30-50
>     VertRefresh 60
>     Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
>     Option "DPI" "100 x 100"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "nvidia1"
>     Driver      "nvidia"
>     Option      "NoLogo"        "true"
>     VideoRam    128000
>     Option      "TVStandard"    "NTSC-M"
>     Option      "TVOutFormat"   "SVIDEO'
> #    Option      "TVOverScan"    "0.6"
>     Option      "TwinView"
>     Option      "TwinViewOrientation"   "Clone"
>     Option      "ConnectedMonitor"      "TV"
>     # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
> EndSection
>

> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier  "TVOut"
>     Device      "nvidia1"
>     Monitor     "TV"
>     Option      "TVStandard"    "NTSC-M"
>     Option      "TVOutFormat"   "SVIDEO"
>     DefaultDepth 32
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       24
>         Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
>     Subsection "Display"
>         Depth       32
>         Modes       "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>         ViewPort    0 0
>     EndSubsection
> EndSection

This probably isn't the suggestion your looking for, but you might
consider swaping that FX 5200 for one that has dvi on it. I was using an
s-video connection on my 37" lcd and the quality difference when I
switched to dvi was incredible, completely worth the $40 spent on the
card.

Other than that I don't see any main changes you could make with your
xorg.conf, its about the same as the config I use on another SD frontend.
You might consider adjusting the overscan with the nvidia-settings tool
which will adjust in real time.