[mythtv-users] Can't set resolution for my projector

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 18 14:32:03 UTC 2007

On 05/18/2007 10:15 AM, Damian Surr wrote:
> The problem with the resolution in that list is that they are not 16x9 ratio. I don't understand why those are listed to be honest when the projector is 16x9 and it's native resolution is 854x480

You don't /have/ to have square pixels.

For best quality output, you probably want 854x480.

If you can't do that, you can use any of the other resolutions (as in
all cases the projector will rescale the image) and just specify a 16:9
DisplaySize.  Of course, this assumes that the scaler in your projector
isn't an "intelligent" scaler that sees a 1024x768 (4:3 pixel-ratio)
input signal and letterboxes it to create a 4:3 output with square
pixels.  (I personally hate "auto-stuff" that prevents me from using my
equipment as I want...)

It's also probably much easier to get a good 720p output than a 1080i
output with today's video cards.

See
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#Q:_All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F
, http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Display_Size , and
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Specifying_DPI_for_NVIDIA_Cards for
info on DisplaySize and non-square pixels.

Mike