[mythtv-users] Interesting mythfilldatabase failure mode

David Kramer david at thekramers.net
Fri May 18 04:19:12 UTC 2007

Mythfilldatabase would run manually just fine, but wasn't running
automatically, even though the configuration screen looked right.

The problem turned out to be this: The config field "mythfilldatabase
Log Path" was set to "/data/mythtv/logs"  Apparently it was expecting a
filename.  "Path" is rather ambiguous.  Sometimes it means the directory
something is/should be in.  Sometimes it's the directory and filename.

Anyway, I would think that it would be better to have the program run
but not log anything, rather than do nothing at all, if the logfile
can't be opened.  Maybe it could write an error to that effect to syslog
or something too, but refusing to run and refusing to tell anybody about
it seems like a bad strategy.

Would you consider this a bug, or unreasonable expectations on my part?

Could the text be changed to something else that denotes path plus filename?

Thanks.