[mythtv-users] x86 or x64?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Thu May 17 14:22:27 UTC 2007

>> Hi.
>> Go with x86 - slightly simpler and no discernable speed difference,
>> (pity that :-) ).
>> Although if you decide to go 64bit all you need to do in Ubuntu is
>> install the ia32libs - there are perfect howto's on the community
>> pages at Ubuntu.
[deletia]

> I have no issues running MythTV on x64 Edgy on my Athlon 64 3200.  Running
> on a ASUS A8N-VM CSM.  I also don't recall any install differences between
> x86 and x64 in the Ubuntu Community MythTV install doc.  Could be wrong.

    I have a similar experience. I even use ATI proprietary video
drivers and I haven't had any issues with x64 under Ubuntu. The
procedures I use for installing MythTV dependences using apt is
identical to how I setup my x86 Debian box. There weren't any x64
binaries available for MythTV itself when I upgraded to 0.20 but
that's a minor problem considering ivtv, lirc and such.

     apt makes resolving dependencies (even ones that weren't properly
addressed in the MythTV build scripts) pretty easy.