[mythtv-users] Question about getting Myth Backend status

Brian Walter blwalter at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:12:19 UTC 2007

Jack Madison wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 09:55 -0400, Brian Walter wrote:
>
>> Michael T. Dean wrote:

>>> wget 'http://mythhostname:6544/xml'
>>>
>>> If it's a "use every once in a while" script.  For regularly shutting
>>> down or whatever, check out mythwelcome and mythshutdown.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Thanks Mike!
>>
>> For now, it's gonna be a once an hour check and if not busy, reboot.
>>

> Just out of curiosity, why?

I have 1 PVR-500 and 1 PVR-150 (along with a couple of HDHR's).  There
is a known issue with ivtv corrupting the system clock.  When all three
devices on the PVR's are recording, I'll start getting DMA
problems...then eventually, driver stops responding and everything comes
to a crashing halt, and the only solution is to reboot.  Once you start
getting the DMA errors though, it seems to be progressive - I might not
have an issue right away, but, eventually, it'll lead to the
aforementioned result.

Also, there's something going on with the IRQ in ivtv that causes severe
system clock drift.  This morning, the system clock was off by 30
MINUTES (adds to wife annoyance factor when shows are skewed)..  ntpd
had thrown up it's hands and said 'You fix it..I'm giving up'.  I've
tried adjtimex -a...with limited success.  At this point, I feel most
comfortable just rebooting when the system is idle.

Brian