[mythtv-users] Slow program listings and deleting

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 17 13:29:39 UTC 2007

On 05/17/2007 06:38 AM, migmog wrote:
> A couple of days ago, I started getting an empty page for 'Upcoming
> Recordings'. So I log in, and find that mysql is complaining that the
> file for table 'recordmatch' could not be opened. I deleted the table,
> copied the CREATE lines out of my last DB backup and used that to
> create the table again.

A better solution is to just run mysqlcheck with the appropriate repair
options, or--even better--just run optimize_mythdb.pl.

>  So I ran mythfilldatabase --no-delete, and
> restarted the backend, the Upcoming Recordings are back. I dumped the
> DB and it is now about half the previous size.
>
> I think this should be a FAQ for everyone getting EIT listings -
> probably most UK users with freeview.  It's rather counterintuitive
> that mythfilldatabase --no-delete actually does an important job of
> deleting stuff out of the database...... but hey.

The "--no-delete" just allows you to keep 7 days of old program listings
data on any video sources that are /not/ EIT only or No grabber
sources.  So, really, if you have only EIT only and No grabber sources,
the "--no-delete" is completely unnecessary (and completely
ineffective--it leaves all listings data).

And, if your plan is to run EIT only (i.e. you're not planning to use
mythfilldatabase to populate program listings), you should make sure all
your video sources are EIT only or No grabber sources.

The only reason I put the "--no-delete" in there is for those users who
run some sources on EIT only and others with mythfilldatabase.
Basically, when I moved the code to the backend, the command I used
included the "--no-delete" argument because it's the safest way to
ensure the cleaning is accomplished and allows users to choose to keep 7
days of old program listings on non-EIT sources.

> Thou shalt put mythfilldatabase --no-delete in thy crontab when using
> myth with freeview
>
> I've updated the wiki:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/EIT
Thanks.  We'll just have to make sure it's removed (or reversed--"Thou
dost not need to run mythfilldatabase if thou dost not wish to") when
0.21 is released.

Mike