[mythtv-users] nuvexport and ffmpeg

Justin Smith justin at smithpolglase.com
Thu May 17 04:45:40 UTC 2007

mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

>> Nope... all my transcodes to xvid using ffmpeg, trying the defaults,
>> vbr, cbr, multipass, denoise, all turn out extremely crappy.  Quality
>> between transcode and ffmpeg are extremely different.  It's been this
>> way for me for several months.  I would be surprised if anyone using
>> current ffmpeg svn and current svn nuvexport can make a good picture
>> quality video.  Mine always turns out very blocky and choppy.
>
> A few more hours of tweaking and still, crap output. Looks like
> transcode is the way to go for now. Anyone out there using ffmpeg and
> getting good results?

I recently set up a new mythbox with:

- mythtv 0.20-fixes built from source (svn 13445)
- ffmpeg build from source (svn 9003)
- nuvexport trunk from source (svn 12136 - later versions don't work with 0.20)

and I see exactly the same problem as you. Using ffmpeg to convert to xvid always
results in "low res" video - in spite of playing with bit rate settings etc.

Using --transcode works fine.

Note that on a previous box running 0.19, nuvexport worked fine with ffmpeg - but
I don't have the svn version details.

Cheers,
Justin.