[mythtv-users] Was: 5C - DOH! Now: Set Top Box Passthrough/Converter Solution Device

Joe Borne joe.borne at gmail.com
Wed May 16 18:57:24 UTC 2007

Way back in Vol #48, Issue 75 I wrote:

>The whole fight over DRM on music just ended this last month. The fact that
>iTunes is now going to offer DRM-free versions of almost all of its music
>signals that the end of DRM is on the way. M$ followed suit within days for
>it's Zune service. Over the next year or so competition will drive prices
>down yet again, and fewer and fewer consumers will buy the DRM'd version
>until the providers see no point in carrying it any more. Sure, the DMCA
>will still exist, but it will molder in a folder somewhere because the
>content providers themselves will see no point in enforcing it. Within a
few
>years the MPAA will be forced into the same position the RIAA now finds
>itself in.

Note the part where I said " fewer and fewer consumers will buy the DRM'd
version until the providers see no point in carrying it any more".

I also postulated that the music providers hate DRM more than us because it
costs them a lot in time, effort and money and does nothing but p*ss their
customers off.

Well, looks like I was accurate on the prediction, but wrong on the time
line. Instead of it happening 18 months from now - it's NOW.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP_Amazoncom_Music_Store.html

Watch - in a matter of weeks or months M$, Apple and Wal-Mart will follow
suit, maybe faster. Moore's law seems to be affecting the technology world
in ways more than anticipated.