[mythtv-users] Questions about XBox front end

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:25:53 UTC 2007

On 5/16/07, Jake Vickers <jake at v2gnu.com> wrote:

> Does anyone out there have an XBox for a front end? I'm looking for
> something quieter than the ML8000 I have in my bedroom now (okay, so the
> wife is) and read that MythTV ran on XBoxes and that they were
> relatively quiet. Seems all the fanless Via boards really balk at
> watching TV. I haven't owned a game system since Playstation came out so
> I'm looking for someone to offer some tips. I've also read that MythTV
> doesn't run that nicely on the XBox, so I'd like to find out now if that
> is so before I brave Ebay to buy one.
> Can anyone out there offer some experiences up with the XBox?

I bought an X-box to use as a myth frontend from ebay.  I did a soft-mod
(Splinter Cell) and installed Linux without too much pain.  I subsequently
gave the x-box away.  For me it was waaay too noisy (sounded like a small
jet engine in the corner - it's orders of magnitude louder than a
playstation) and I found it dog slow running mythfrontend .  Using XBMC was
much better - it was much more responsive, and could play  back myth - but
then I lost the fabulous mythfrontend interface.  I've replaced it with a P4
2.8 laptop that had a broken screen (it's connected to a LCD TV) and I find
it much, much better as a frontend.  So - yes the X-Box works, but I
wouldn't recommend it.  You apparently can open it up and change the fans
but I didn't bother.  YMMV.