[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Media Center team dumping MythTV for Elisa (yuck!)

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed May 16 04:56:18 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 00:38 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Sounds like someone needs to fix his MythTV installation.

Sure.  Tell me what's broken that everything works except that seeking
just say, a single "ffwd" or "rew" can take many seconds to process.
I'll pass along your fix to the Ubuntu packaging team.

How about the "smearing" that non-mpeg2 and nuv files do when you seek
in them?  Do you think that is my "broken" installation?  Again, please
tell me what I should "fix" (hint: it's got nothing to do with an
individual installation -- it's crappy decoding of a media file).

>   Seeking in my
> recordings with MythTV is /far/ better than seeking in MPlayer or xine.
> And, that's with full HDTV played on a remote frontend.

Are you talking about mpeg2 or "other" formats?  mpeg2 seeking works
just fine.  It's "other" formats I'm talking about.

> I'd say if anything is dead, it's not MythTV.

Hrm.  I don't think I even used the word "dead", never mind the
implication.  I still think using X for "TV"(-type) output is wrong
though.

> It's the idea of using
> NTSC (or PAL) for playback.

Sure.  But it's what's prevalent in the world today, so it's what we
have to interface to.

> Projectors, LCD's, Plasma's, DLP's, and
> pretty much any new "TV" has /far/ better connection capabilities than
> 1953's latest and greatest.

If one can afford any of those.

> Show me DirectFB drivers that handle 1080i and 720p better than the X
> drivers and I might be interested.

TBH I don't know what the latest in HD output for DirectFB is as I
unfortunately had to give up my interest DirectFB when I switched to
Myth.  I'd be surprised if one cannot use any of the supported hardware
at those resolutions given that the physical connection would likely be
VGA or HDMI/DVI.

How capable DirectFB is at it is actually quite a red-herring.  It
doesn't make it any less wrong to use something as heavy as X for what
is relatively simple (in contrast to what X11 provides) video display
requirements.  It's like driving a thumbtack with a sledgehammer.

b.

Brian J. Murrell