[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Media Center team dumping MythTV for Elisa (yuck!)

Matt Mossholder matt at mossholder.com
Tue May 15 23:09:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 15:46 -0700, Erik Warner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to let you know that Ubuntu is starting its "Ubuntu Media
> Center" initiative, and that they are apparently choosing Elisa
> instead of MythTV:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuMediaCenterTeam
>
> Given that MythTV is way more feature-rich, stable, and powerful,
> forgoing MythTV is a terrible decision on the part of Ubuntu and its
> parent company, Canonical. MythTV is _the gold standard_ of Free/Open
> Source media centers. Both MythTV and Ubuntu have great communities,
> and they could certainly benefit from a mutual relationship.

No argument from me that MythTV is a much better media platform.

> I hope you will join me in attempting to convince the Ubuntu Media
> Center team and Mark Shuttleworth (Ubuntu's founder,
> http://MarkShuttleworth.com) that MythTV is the obvious choice for the
> Ubuntu Media Center.

...however, Ubuntu Media Center, from what I can find, is a community
project, and not under the control of Canonical. Lobbying Shuttleworth
and Canonical will have little to no effect, if that is the case.

> Thanks,
> Erik
>
> BTW: Our DRM-loving, anti-GPL, anti-Qt/KDE friends at Fluendo are the
> main culprits in this deal, as they are the ones pushing their own
> semi-proprietary product.

This seems to be quite a stretch. There are a number of Qt/KDE apps that
use GStreamer, and Fluendo has plenty of software out there under the
GPL. Why all the hating?

		--Matt