[mythtv-users] Defunct Mythbackend

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue May 15 19:05:05 UTC 2007

Matt Rude wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> Matt Rude wrote:

>>> My recording directory's (/mythtv/Recorded & /mythtv/Recorded2) are
>>> on different drives
>>> but the rest of the system is on a 3rd 80 gig system drive.
>>>
>>> I am using a PVR-350 (tuner only no TV-out) and a PVR-500 for the
>>> tuners
>>> TV-Out via a Nvidia 7300
>>>
>>> so do you currently have the var directory and mysql running on
>>> separate drives or did you remove your recordings from that drive?
>>>
>> In my situation, part of my LVM (JFS) array was built from my boot
>> drive.  I added a separate drive and mounted it as /var.  Once I did
>> that, all my problems went away.   In my case though, I was recording
>> 2 HD streams and 2 SD streams plus commercial flagging.   It doesn't
>> sound like your situation is exactly analogous to mine.  Do you get
>> IOBOUND messages in your backend logs?
>>
>> Kevin
>>

> Yes
>
> grep IOBOUND mythbackend.log
> 2007-05-15 13:52:24.965 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND begin cnt(2048)
> free(2047)
> 2007-05-15 13:52:25.334 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND begin cnt(2048)
> free(2047)
> 2007-05-15 13:52:25.513 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND end
> 2007-05-15 13:52:25.525 TFW, Error: Write() -- IOBOUND end
I think you will find that the defunct status corresponds to those
messages.  If so, you need to find a way to eliminate them.  You could
try things like lowering the number of jobs that can run at the same
time, make sure your hard drives are optimized (DMA on in Linux, 80-pin
IDE if they are IDE drives, etc).

Kevin