[mythtv-users] Dish receiver

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue May 15 17:59:50 UTC 2007

On May 15, 2007, at 10:52 AM, Conrad Montlouis wrote:

> That's really what I'm trying to figure out and I could be way out
> there on this.  Can the STB be a client/device connecting to the
> IRTrans server on my box.
> Disclaimer! I am way out of my league here, please keep that in mind.
> The documentation for irtrans states that it can control other
> clients, can this  conceptually be done if the stb is connected to
> my machine?
> Thanks!

Definitely not. IRTrans software has no concept of controlling
anything other than IR commands (sending and receiving) and its VFD
(vacuum fluorescent display). I use this IRTrans software to receive
IR commands from my remote control and to display information on my
VFD. Fortunately, I don't need an IR blaster because I have DirecTV
and can control them with the a directv perl script, but no such
script exists to control DISH STB's. I'm sure others who are well-
versed in this sort of thing have tried. I'm not sure it's possible.
Likely not.