[mythtv-users] Best HD transcoding setup & settings?

John Overchuk overchuk at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 19:42:12 UTC 2007

I have the following common settings:
Lossless Transcoding NOT checked
Resize Video while transcoding NOT checked
Codec: MPEG4
Scale bitrate for frame size NOT checked
Enable high-quality encoding checked
Enable 4MV encoding checked
(I believe the sound settings aren't used currently)
For 1080i I use Bitrate=3500
For 720p I use Bitrate=2500
For 480i I use Bitrate=1500
For both interlaced profiles, I have "Enable interlaced DCT encoding"
and "Enable interlaced motion estimation" checked.

To transcode them you just go to the recording from Watch Recordings and
hit the right arrow -> Job Options -> Begin Transcoding (you can also do
this from the OSD menu while watching it, or via mythweb).  You can also
set MythTV to autotranscode after recording.

If you have any specific questions be sure to ask them and we can get
you through it.

What kind of file sizes do you end up with.  I had some 1080i HD mpg that
was around 7gig.  I transcoded it with your 1080i profile and ended up with
a .nuv file around 5gig.  I was expecting something much smaller.