[mythtv-users] MythTV as a DVD player

David Segall david at segall.net
Mon May 14 15:12:55 UTC 2007

Patrick Doyle wrote:
> My old DVD player died.  Instead of spending $50 to replace it with a
> standalone unit, I'm thinking of spending $500 to $1000 to replace it
> with a MythTV.  (Yes, I'm a certified, registered, geek.  So sue me.)
This is a necessary qualification to get MythTV running. My responses below
depend on a totally reliable MythTV set up so that it and all its services
are running. That is not easy to achieve and you may need to train the
family to reboot the computer.

> In my case, I need to have a DVD player that my family can use the way
> they're used to using a DVD player -- press a button on the remote
There is a setup option to make that unnecessary.
> stick a DVD in, see the menu, hit play, and watch the DVD on our existing
> (analog) television.
No problem although, depending on the size of your TV, you may find it
cheaper to use a computer monitor rather than buying a video card with
composite video output.