[mythtv-users] Hiper HMC-2K53A-H2 First Impressions (Awesome HD frontend)

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon May 14 02:11:18 UTC 2007

I saw several messages about people looking at this box from newegg and
thought I would post my first impression here in case it helps anyone.

I have only been using it about two days now, but it looks like a good
deal so far.  I am using Fedora Core 6 with latest updates running myth
packages from atrpms.  I have a 65w AMD x2 4600+.  1080i HD playback
takes about 50% on one core, other core barely touched.  720p playback
takes about 65% on one core.  This is a frontend only.  The 4 HD tuners
and PVR-500 for directv input on on a dedicated backend.

The memory card reader works out of the box.  No special packages.  I
have only tested SmartMedia as that is what my camera has.

I don't have the VFD working yet, but I haven't had much time to spend
on this yet.  It is a Futaba (I think) module and is connected to the
motherboard via internal USB connecter.

It also looks like it has built-in WLAN also via USB, but I have not
tested this yet.

The sounds works great.  In order to use the SPDIF outout with mythtv I
had to set the audio device to ALSA:plughw otherwise lots of nasty
sounding noise.  Ignore the error about no Master control.  Alsamixer
only shows a PCM control.

DVD works fine.  I just happened to have a Panasonic slot load for my
mini HD frontend I was working on a couple of years ago.  The eject
button lines up fine.

Case is very cool to touch except near power supply, but exhaust fan air
is cool so case is doing its function as heat sink very well.  CPU
exhaust is also cool.  I bought the Dynatron low-profile CPU cooler
which is very loud, but settings in BIOS helped that greatly (look for
CPU fan control).  Looking at NewEgg's site later I saw that Hiper also
makes a low-profile CPU cooler, so I will probably get that also and try it.

There is an annoying error about USB hub port not being enabled.  I'll
look into that later as it doesn't seem to be affecting how I use the box.

That is about it for now.  Using the Nvidia 9755 (?) drivers for video
doing DVI-D to a Westinghouse 1920x1080p 37" LCD.

So far very impressed.  If you are thinking about getting one, I
definitely recommend the 65w dual-core AMD processors.  No need to get
the 4600+ like I did.  I will post results of lowering my clock, etc
later.  Also guess I should mention I am running i686 version of Fedora
Core 6, not the x86_64 version.

--
David