[mythtv-users] Solved DecoderMAD error

Bill Omer bill.omer at gmail.com
Sun May 13 03:09:22 UTC 2007

I've been running in to the error:

Decoder error. DecoderMAD: Failed to open input. Error 5.

Which is generated here:

00116     if (! input()->isOpen()) {
00117         if (! input()->open(IO_ReadOnly)) {
00118             error("DecoderMAD: Failed to open input.  Error " +
00119                   QString::number(input()->status()) + ".");
00120             return FALSE;
00121         }
00122     }

It appears to be a permissions problem.  Most people who get this
error seem to have an incorrect path in the "general" settings under
Settings -> MythMusic.  However, the path was correct and permissions
were fine (666 to verify).

My rather large music collection is organized alphabetically,
separated by first letter, then artist, alum, track.

Example:

/music/A/A Perfect Circle/Thirteen Steps

When I would do a "scan for new music", the database would indeed be
populated with all of my music.  Trying to play a track would fail
with the afore mentioned error.

To troubleshoot this I moved the "A Perfect Circle" directory to be
within just music, removing all other directories.  After I scanned
for new music, I was able to play without a problem.   So I then moved
all the subdirectories under the alphabetized sorting to be within
just /music.   I rescanned for new music again, and now the entire
collection is playing fine.

So when I have my music organized with LETTER/Artist, it fails.  If
the music just in one big directory separated only by artist (then
alums), music plays fine.

Unfortunately, this now makes it that much more difficult to navigate
through my collection.    But at least its working.  I'm not exactly
sure why I got the error, but it's possible that others may have
gotten this message for similar reasons.

-Bill