[mythtv-users] Was: 5C - DOH! Now: Set Top Box Passthrough/Converter Solution Device

Kevin Hulse jedi at mishnet.org
Sat May 12 21:39:29 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 10:00:42AM -0700, Asher wrote:
> On 5/11/07, jedi at mishnet.org <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> > He's just talking about making a universal switchbox.
> >
> > The cost would probably outweigh the value.
> >
> > It's got to have he output hardware onboard because it's not
> > attached to anything else. It's not a "card". More than anything
> > else it looks like something akin to a macrovision descrambler.
> >
> > Something that could descramble encrypted HDMI and ATSC would be
> > quite cool and rather useful and probably very illegal.
>
> The see the need as a device that will take component and analog or
> digital audio and output an MPEG2 compliant stream (most likely over
> ieee1394).  I don't think that would be illegal, there is high end

	The part that would strip of HDCP would be illegal. This would
liberate the current DRM present in HD cable and allow any genric PVR
to exploit HDTV signals rather the current quasi-monopoly conditions
now.

> broadcast equipment that does this, but it doesn't just do this, and
> is usually in the USD$10000-20000 range.  Systems that can encode
> 1080/720 MPEG2 in realtime just tend to be expensive and hard to find.
>  The cable company STBs already have component out, so you aren't
> bypassing any encryption.

 	Hopefully DRM in cable signals will suffer fatal joe sixpack
type usability issues.

	I remember when DVD burners were 50K. It wasn't that long ago either.