[mythtv-users] Schedule search

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat May 12 18:15:50 UTC 2007

Steve Daniels wrote:
> Glenn B. Lawler wrote:
>> I would like to record a number of old movies that
>> are broadcast occasionally and I am getting tired
>> of scanning through the movies looking for them.
>>
>> I am sure there must be a way to enter these titles
>> somewhere so they will be automatically recorded
>> as soon as they show up in the schedule.
>>
>> Could someone that has actually done this
>> successfully give me a quick step by step through
>> the menu tree to do this?

Sure.

> In the blue theme:

I think that should read Default "Menu theme" which chooses
the menu organization. A "theme" like "blue" determines the
backgrounds and colors.

> Manage Recordings -> Schedule Recordings -> Custom Record

For the "classic" menu theme it's TV->Schedule Recordings->Custom
Record and for DVR it is simply Schedule Recordings->Custom Record.

Step 2 =). The default is <New rule> and the default example is
"Match an exact title". Press the down arrow once and click the
"Add..." button:

Rule Name:

program.title = 'Nova'

Next, replace "Nova" with your title. You also need to fill in a
name for the rule and it makes sense to use the movie title for
that too. You can cut'n'paste so I might type the title in as the
rule name then paste it in the text box. However, you could even
cut it from another window or editor or a web page like IMDB.

Rule Name: What's Up, Tiger Lily?

program.title = 'What''s Up, Tiger Lily?'

If there is a single quote it must be escaped with another single
quote or a backslash should work too. I believe the single quote
is the only character that needs to be escaped but if there is an
error, you will see an error message when you click Test or Record.

Step 4 or 5 (I lost count): Click "Record" and choose "Record one
showing of this title" and any other options you may want. Click
"[Save these settings]".

Somewhere around step 7, you have a rule that will wait until it
finds a matching title in your listings. Once it successfully
records a match, the rule will be discarded. I've had "Eraserhead"
for a year or two and I don't know if it will ever show up but
I've had many examples of things recording many months later. These
are only checked when mythfilldatabase runs and when the master
restarts. Even then, they only take a tiny fraction of a second
so it doesn't hurt to have several of these.

Hope this helps,

--  bjm