[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Fri May 11 21:28:29 UTC 2007

Todd Ferris wrote:

> On 5/9/07, *Todd Ferris* <tferris at gmail.com <mailto:tferris at gmail.com>>
> wrote
>

>     I may not have a complete understanding of the Syabas middleware,
>     but from looking at the Wizd ( http://wizd.sourceforge.net/) project
>     I think this project could be a potential huge win for mythtv.
>
>     Wizd is an open-source project that provides a replacement media
>     server for Syabas based media players ( e.g. I-O Data LinkPlayer,
>     Buffalo LinkTheater, etc.)  It appears they have reverse engineered
>     the control protocol for these systems and can now display their own
>     menus and provide custom behavior (within the limits of the players
>     firmware)
>
>     Searching the forums, someone already has created a commercial skip
>     patch that sends mythtv commercial break markers as chapters to the
>     player ( http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4049664
>     <http://sourceforge.net/forum/message.php?msg_id=4049664>)
>
>     It seems that if we got an active developer group together to create
>     a mythtvfrontend branch for Wizd we would suddenly have a light
>     mythfrontend (but heavier than upnp) available for a large selection
>     of mediaplayers. This could be very similar to the Myth python
>     script for XBMC( http://sourceforge.net/projects/xbmcmythtv/).
>     While it is not the full frontend, it does have extensive features.(
>     http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=128346)
>
>     I would happy to join in on the development, but don't have the
>     skills to tackle this alone (my C is very rusty, and I was never
>     known for elegant design)
>
>     Any takers?
>
>     Todd
>

> After doing a little more research I think the SwissCenter project
> (http://www.swisscenter.co.uk/)  might be even an even better platform
> for creating a mediaplayer based mythtvfrontend.  The whole thing is
> implemented in PHP and is already backed by a mysql db.   I could see
> just branching this off and just creating a full mythtv focused project.
>
> Anyone have experience with SwissCenter?  (I might just have to buy one
> of these mediaplayers to mess around with!)
>
> Todd

Sorry for the slow 4 day turn around.  I just started considering mythtv
development and re-did some of my myth e-mail filters.

Time (and trying to do many thing (it's all good)) is eating at me as
well.  I still haven't been able to cobbled together a SVN version of
mythtv.

So, my hopes that UPnP Remote was in wide spread use are not true?  That
is, the protocol WizD implements is just a special Sigma Designs /
Syabas protocol.

It looks like SwissCenter is another Sigma Design specific server, just
like WizD.  I have only tried WizD so I can't compare.  If by PHP you
mean Python - well, I'm not much of a Python developer.

In general, you are interested in adding support (programming) to the
MythTV back end to support Sigma Design based "media extenders" or "thin
clients", do I have that right?  Just checking.

...thanks