[mythtv-users] usb->serial convert question

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri May 11 20:33:49 UTC 2007

Scott Harris wrote:
> I have a working serial cable to control a satellite STB,
> works great.
>
> I'm moving everything to a new computer without any serial
> ports and have been experimenting with some different models
> of usb/serial converts.
>
> My question is, do I need to build a new cable or can I simply
> plug the existing, working cable into the converter and expect
> it to work?
>
> I'm seeing the device created (/dev/ttyUSB0) but if I try to
> use the directv.pl script is simply hangs.  I've tried different
> baud settings etc.

You should be able to plug the USB->Serial port adapter in, and then
plug your serial port cable in to control your set top box.  There has
been some mention of compatible/incompatible USB->Serial port adapters.

Check the output from lsusb (if you have that installed) and check out
the WIKI entry and its "discussion" tab:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirecTV_Set_Top_Box_%28STB%29_via_USB_or_Serial

-Rich