[mythtv-users] Intel 965GM or 512MB NVIDIA Quadro NVS 120M for Front End? (David Kramer)

Calin Brabandt cbrabandt at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 19:37:02 UTC 2007

> Apropos to the discussion:

> http://kerneltrap.org/node/8185

> This announcement adds more fuel to the fire.  The
2.0 intel driver is
> available from some distributions already.  Gentoo
has it masked for
> example.  I look forward to the day when Intel ships
discrete graphics
> and nouveau becomes good enough for HDTV.

> Yan

> On 5/10/07, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Calin Brabandt <cbrabandt at yahoo.com> says:
> > > I recently built the Intel drivers from git
repositories and found
> > > the results to be satisfoctory on my G915.
> >
> > Although I'm very happy with the output my Nvidia
6200TC puts out,
> > it's good to hear that a true open-source graphics
driver is
available
> > for high-definition MythTV use (my frontend has a
Intel motherboard
> > with the 915g chipset).
> >
> > Can the driver handle 1080p output, I wonder? That
is, can the
refresh
> > rate be high enough to take advantage of Bob
deinterlacing

(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/246494#246494>)2?

> > --
> > Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | +1 650 776 7763 |
San Francisco CA US

I contacted one of the Intel driver devs about the
newly released drivers and my experiences with video
tearing on my G965.  It's a known issue and the driver
doesn't attempt to sync the video update to retrace,
so tearing results.  The tearing is most noticable on
HD.
However, sync is on the list for future development
so we'll just need to keep checking the release notes.

My TV is 720p native so I've not tried 1080i.

-Cal
~