[mythtv-users] Was: 5C - DOH! Now: Set Top Box Passthrough/Converter Solution Device

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Fri May 11 15:13:23 UTC 2007

> On 5/11/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Well, my posting about the PYRO AV device really did stimulate
>> discussion.
>> I'm glad to see that.
>>
>> Several people have contacted me off-list in order to offer help and
>> options in creating the device to translate DVI/HDMI/Component video
>> into a
>> usable ieee1394/mpeg2 signal. I have also opened discussions with a
>> couple
>> of hardware vendors.
>>
>> In particular I intend to focus on the creation of an external box that
>> will translate several HD formats. Specifically we are looking to create
>> device that can accept DVI, HDMI, and Component video formats and output
>> them in VGA, Composite and ieee1394(via mpeg2). Only the ieee1394 output
>> would be HD (as of now). This combination seems to represent the best,
>> most
>> marketable product. Obviously the market just to solve the MythTV STB
>> problem is too small to persuade any vendor. So a device that translates
>> into multiple outputs would appeal to the broadest range of consumers.
>

> You call DVI, HDMI, and component video "formats" but they are really just
> transport mediums.  In no particular order, they can carry mpeg-2 and

He's just talking about making a universal switchbox.

The cost would probably outweigh the value.

It's got to have he output hardware onboard because it's not
attached to anything else. It's not a "card". More than anything
else it looks like something akin to a macrovision descrambler.

Something that could descramble encrypted HDMI and ATSC would be
quite cool and rather useful and probably very illegal.