[mythtv-users] I may have SOLVED the 5C cable encryption - DOH!

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 9 19:14:43 UTC 2007

On 05/09/2007 01:06 PM, John P Poet wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Joe Borne <joe.borne at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 10:41 -0400, Joe Borne wrote:
>>> I have found a solution to the problem of 5C encrypted channels.
>>>
>>> This device here -> PYRO A /V
>>>
>>> Can convert Component Video (The Y Pb Pr) stuff straight to DV
>>> (firewire/ieee1394). It can also pass through the audio (in stereo at
>>> least).
>> Sorry.  The specifications show that it only does standard definition,
>> so it's no better than a PVR-150.
>>
>>  You're right, I just noticed that too. Darn it. On the right track though.
>>

> It actually *might* be better than a PVR-150.  It comes down to how
> well it converts the analog video/audio to digital.  Since it is an
> external device, it would not have to fight off electrical
> interference, like the PVR-150 does.  No tuner, so it is only doing
> one job.  Component inputs should be much higher quality than s-video,
> so it should have a cleaner source, which should result in a cleaner
> result.
>
> So, it is not going to be HD, but it still might be much better than
> using a PVR-150 to capture s-video.

Not to mention that the video never gets corrupted--I mean quality isn't
degraded--by the NTSC format.  NTSC is most of the reason that standard
def quality is so lacking--after all it's more than 50-year old
technology.  If the video never becomes NTSC, it could theoretically be
as good as DVD quality (as played through a non-NTSC connection--i.e.
component or VGA or DVI or HDMI).  And, anyone with an HDTV who has
played a (good quality) DVD through a non-NTSC connection knows how that
compares to NTSC.  IMHO, NTSC = ., DVD = O, and HDTV = 0 (the difference
between NTSC and DVD quality is huge compared to the difference between
DVD and HDTV quality).

And, depending on the device, it may allow for proper aspect-ratio
switching.  If so, it may allow capture of widescreen content at 720x480
with no black bars--meaning all 480 horizontal lines contain picture
content, so none of the resolution is wasted.

> Does Myth know how to play video in "DV Video" format?

It could always be transcoded.

Mike