[mythtv-users] Analog and Digital Cable Confusion (HDHR, etc)

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Wed May 9 19:04:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, May 9, 2007 8:34 am, Brian Wood wrote:
> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> Movie and TV studios feel that if you're able to record high-quality
>> video, there would be no more reason to buy their DVD's, BluRay and
>> HD-DVD discs. You can also easily replicate the movies so no one has
>> to go out and buy them. Cable providers couldn't care less if you're
>> recording The Sopranos and not buying the DVD's. HBO gets upset about
>> it, though. Those companies are the ones that provide cable providers
>> with the most income so their voice is loudest telling them "If you
>> don't encrypt our movie channels to prevent recording, we're pulling
>> our station and everyone will go with another provider."
>
> I couldn't have put it better myself. They said the same thing about
> VCRs 30 years ago, and I notice that people still buy movies, on
> whatever format.
>
> The H'Wood types just never seem to learn. If they would put just 10% of
> the effort they put into protecting their precious content into actually
> producing something *worth* stealing, we'd all be a lot better off,
> H'Wood types included.

Actually, they said the same thing about TV 50+ years ago. That's why guys
my age grew up watching Johnny Mack Brown westerns and "Monday Night at
the Movies" was a BFD.

In my parents time, baseball team owners vigorously opposed radio
broadcasts of the games.

Greed trumps brains every time.

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer