[mythtv-users] Remote Controls

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Wed May 9 16:25:28 UTC 2007

Phill Edwards wrote:
>>> I have a Packard Bell PC remote which is great with MythTV. You can
>>> pick them up on eBay for nix.
>>>
>> Phill, that has to be the ugliest remote control *ever*.
>>

> Mate, it is ugly, but it's a ripper for MythTV! As it's also VERY
> cheap (OK, proabably cos it's ugly), you should try it before you
> knock it :)

Thanks.. this helps.  Since I've already got the IR receiver for each of
my frontend systems, the remote is now the key to happiness. :)  I can't
believe just how many remotes disable buttons based upon the function
mode you are in.  For example, if you select "DBS/Cable", the "VCR" or
"DVD" type buttons (play, pause, rewind, etc) are all disabled. :(  Or,
as a better example, with two of the remotes I have, the Guide button is
disabled if you are in DVD/VCR mode, but it is enabled if you are in TV
mode.  Ugh.

Obviously, I need a "DVR" remote that had all of the right buttons with
all of them enabled so I can make lirc do the "right" thing as well as
be able to turn on/off all of the individual components (I've tried
training my kids to do it for me, but, oddly, they resist ;) ).

I'll have to swing by some of the stores and give a couple of the
inexpensive remotes a whirl.  Unfortunately, the Harmony is a little out
of the price range.. especially since I would need 3 of them!

-Rich