[mythtv-users] MythArchive execution time?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed May 9 01:13:17 UTC 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 5:32 PM, Craig Huff wrote:

> Movies that run about 2 hours currently take a little over an hour
> to process and burn to DVD from beginning to end on my system with
> no other activity (about 10 minutes to do the actual burn).  Is
> this normal/to be expected, or should I be looking for bottleneck
> (s) to fix?
>
> I have a single PATA drive on an Athlon 64 3200+ CPU w/ 512MB RAM,
> 2GB swap partition with a 2.6.20 i686 FC6 kernel.
>
> From what I can see with the disk activity light and top, it seems
> to be CPU bound more than anything.  Is there anything I should
> look at (besides upgrading to a faster CPU)?
>
> Craig Huff

This time seems about right. I get about 30-40 fps on my AMD 64 X2
4400+ cpu. If you're doing a lot of burning, you might consider
making your source a DVD-compliant format so you don't need to re-
encode when burning to DVD. For instance, if you're recording with a
PVR-150 or similar card, capture at a DVD compliant resolution and
don't transcode afterwards.