[mythtv-users] Stabalizing Firewire?

David Frascone dave at frascone.com
Tue May 8 13:35:51 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 5/8/07, David Frascone <dave at frascone.com> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed that firewire support is flaky at best.  But -- I still
>> need it for premium highdef channels.
>>
>> So -- Does anyone have any ideas how to stabalize it?  I'm thinking
>> reboot it and my backend every once in a while.  But -- how can I tell
>> when the backend is idle?
>>
>> I'm thinking of an algorithm something like this:
>>
>> If it is between 2:00AM and 4:00AM
>>    And, there are no recordings scheduled in the next 15 minutes
>> then
>>    Turn off STB.
>>     Reboot
>> end
>>
>> (Part of my mythbackend startup script turns the STB back on.)
>>
>> The only other thing I can think of is to modify my turn-on script to
>> run firewire_tester to make sure we have ptp connectivity working.
>>

>> So -- if the above algorithm is sound:
>>    How can I tell if there are recordings pending?  Play with SQL in the
>> script?
>>

> are you running SVN?

Yes.

Yesterday, it wouldn't let me tune to any channel on firewire.  When I
ran plugreport, I got only errors .. . . the firewire connection had
"disappeared".  When I rebooted the box (the myth backend, not the STB),
everything started working fine.

-Dave

--

David Frascone

            Some minds should be cultivated, others plowed under...