[mythtv-users] MythV's mysql d/b - should it be UTF-8?

František Augusztin frantisek at augusztin.com
Tue May 8 09:27:39 UTC 2007

Neil Bird:
> a) *Does* it make a difference?

If you convert all your tables to UTF8, then you will see correct characters
in MythTV and MythWeb too, unlike with latin1 swedish...

> b) If not, how can I safely convert my tables from latin1 to UTF-8?  I
> tried a couple of simple recipes that Mr. Google pointed me to, but nothing
> was quite right.

I did it with "ALTER TABLE tbl_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET charset_name;"
command for each table.

> c) Is the latin1 default correct?  I'm going by the mysql.txt (?) that
> comes with MythT & contains the d/b creation commands.

It is not correct, but this is the default. It is the worst decision anyone
can do. Yeah, it is ok for those who use Latin1, but for everybody else it is
the worst thing. A couple of bugs arise from the decision to use Latin1 in
non-Latin1 areas, like question marks everywhere, ocassional MySQL errors in
mythbackend.log with corresponding effect (i was unable to switch channel
sometimes) etc etc.
--
Frantisek Augusztin
frantisek at augusztin.com