[mythtv-users] No sound watching TV

Alan Calvert cal at graggrag.com
Mon May 7 11:25:28 UTC 2007

Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

>     "The integrated hda sound works but doesn't let you do a loopback
>     from line in to line out with current alsa drivers."
>     (http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/200702271100.html
>     <http://www.awe.com/mark/blog/200702271100.html>)
>
> But the fact I do not have line in shoud just avoid hearing the live TV,
> a thing that we do not want, anyway.
>
> However, using mplayer, I can record the TV and playback the result with
> sound. In this case, I should not use the arecord stuff.  As a matter of
> fact, I just do no hear anything while recording , but the resulting avi
> has sound.
>
> What makes me believe that the problem is OSS/Alsa in myth.
> Since I have never looked myth code before, I do not know where to start.
> Does recording use OSS only?

Wow, you really do have a handful there. I'm starting to think the alsa
handling in myth is a little 'delicate' (please don't toast me devs, that's
not a complaint or a criticism!). Something I've been thinking about lately
is whether some dmix/dsnoop magic in ~/.asoundrc might be useful in strange
cases like this.

cheers, Cal

[ ... snip]