[mythtv-users] No sound watching TV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 6 18:29:46 UTC 2007

On 05/06/2007 01:52 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 06/05/07, Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have an Intel D975XBX2 mobo,
>> which has no alsa line in channel yet.
>>
>> Following one of myth's howto I am
>> using for now
>>
>> arecord -D hw:0,0 -d 0 -f dat | aplay &
>>
>>  for sending the line in input to pcm.
>> It works fine for any application accessing the capture card,
>> mplayer, tvtime, gnome radio, etc ..
>>
>> but not for watching TV with mythtv. Completely dumb, in this case.
>>

> Doesn't MythTV still require using /dev/dsp and OSS emulation?

Audio capture during recording is written to use the OSS API (and,
therefore, uses /dev/dsp*).  Playback can be done using either ALSA or OSS.

See, also, http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/3405 (which needs some
work, but is, at least, in progress).

However, I don't know how that relates to the OP's question as he seems
to be doing something very soundcard-specific-workaround-like...

Mike