[mythtv-users] Small, low cost MythTV clients...

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Thu May 3 20:45:49 UTC 2007

On 5/3/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On May 3, 2007, at 1:06 PM, Brad Templeton wrote:
>
> > So it seems it would be very smart for these vendors to sponsor
> > porting
> > of Mythfrontend to their boxes.   They would sell a lot of boxes.
> > I would
> > buy one -- simply because I expect they're low power and would save me
> > a lot of money.
>
> I don't see that working out -- mainly because there's no backwards
> compatibility in the Myth protocol, so frontends and backends have to
> be upgraded in lock-step.  Every time you upgraded your backend you'd
> need a firmware upgrade for the box.

If the firmware loaded the myth frontend application via tftp, then
all you would need is to put the new frontend firmware on your server.
 This is basically how the mediaMVP works with mvpmc.  It can be a bit
of a hassle to set up, but once it is set up, it works well.  While I
don't think any of the vendors would want to keep the code up to date,
if they would just open up the box enough fro someone to do a port, it
would be great.

Unfortunately, I don't think that the companies who make these things
realize that there would be a significant market for such a box.
Maybe if the guys who make the HDhomerun or some of the preconfigured
myth systems talke to some of the OEMs of these boxes, they could
persuade them.